I think we can all agree that libraries are the best thing to happen to humans since the creation of ice cream. (Yes, I did check to make sure that ice cream was invented before the first library opened. I’m a nerd, deal with it.) They have books, chairs, books, Wi-Fi, books, printers, and books.
There’s absolutely nothing not to love about libraries, you can just go in, snag a huge stack of book, and leave without paying a cent! I know that there are some libraries that have a limit on how many books you can have checked out at a given time —I’ve been to a city that only allowed 10 books—but my library let me take out up to 100 books and 99 pieces of media at once, so I never really felt too limited. Instead of just rambling on and on, I’ve decided to be systematic and give you a list of my top 3 favorite things about libraries.
- I think I mentioned the books. But here it is again. Books. Not only do I love how you can take out books, I also love how you can request books. Flashback to 11-year-old me who was itching to get her hands on a copy of the third book in the Magic Thief series, but unfortunately the library didn’t have it. Not to worry though! Our friendly neighborhood librarian was able to put in an order for me and get the book to me within a week. Pure magic.
- There are chairs everywhere. I don’t mean to sound lazy or anything (do not be mistaken, I am quite lazy), but sitting down when you read is one of the best things ever. You can’t have an optimal reading experience without a nice place to sit and read. Sitting in middle of the aisle formed by the shelves while trying to enjoy a book? No thank you. That isn’t to say that I don’t sit on the floor in middle of an aisle of books when I’m in Barnes and Noble, but it’s so much better when you have somewhere to sit.
- I’m not the hugest fan of people, but when it comes to tolerable homo sapiens, the library has got a great supply of them. It seems that the library is the only place that possess the ability to hire people who can deal with closed in bookworms, small children, and large school groups. In general, I would normally choose to avoid human interaction, but when going to the library I always return my books in person rather than dump them in the return bin. I also return them in person because I’m slightly neurotic and seeing them registered as returned right when I brought them to the library lifts some stress off my shoulders.
Now, for a few things that I like specifically about my library.
- There’s a vending machine there with Pineapple Fanta in it. What a whacky flavor, how cool is that?
- There are multiple floors, and on the second floor there is an entire room dedicated to movies and TV shows. Or at least there was back in the day. Does anyone even use DVD’s anymore?
- Though it did take me awhile to gather up the courage to venture into the big scary teen section (we’re not even going to talk about the adult section), I automatically felt cooler for being there due to the lack of children and utter silence that blanketed the place. Cool silence.
- I’m pretty sure a bunch of libraries do these things, but there were these summer reading challenges where you could win stuff, and though I never really figured out how they worked the pamphlets exuded much coolness and awesomesauce.
Welp, that’s it for me. What are your favorite things about libraries in general? Do you have some things that you love about your library in specific? Tell me about them in the comments below 😊
6 thoughts on “My 3 Favorite Things About Libraries”
I totally agree! What is there not to love about libraries! 🙂
I just love that feeling of walking out with a bag full of books and not having paid a thing!
The thing I like best about my specific library though (aside from it being huge, because it’s a city centre library!) is that whilst most of it is pretty modern, there’s one room in the old part of the building that literally looks like Hogwarts. In fact, the apparently did use it in the filming of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. So that’s pretty cool! 🙂
LikeLiked by 2 people
Omg, That’s so cool! Anything that looks even remotely like Hogwarts automatically gets all of my love 😂.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Nice list. The special perks about your library sound awesome! Libraries here focus more on kids, so there’s not much for a late-20s person in terms of reading for prizes. I don’t go to the ones here, for a lot of reasons, but I have been reconsidering my stance and will look into the local library once I move. A lot of places here have bulletin boards, especially in community places, and I’m itching to join a book club!
Pineapple Fanta is my favorite Fanta, next to strawberry. Pineapple just has so much oomph to it without being generic. And somehow, artificial pineapple flavors always taste more like the real thing than other artificial flavors!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yesss Pineapple Fanta for the win! Book clubs seem so fun and I also want to try one out, my only worry is that I won’t like one of the picks and not end up reading it 🙈.
I love my library too, and it has quite a few amazing resources just like yours (though I don’t know if it has Pineapple Fanta. LOL!).
LikeLiked by 1 person
Lol, Pineapple Fanta is truly unique 😉